(920) 733-1307 church.office@stjohn-appleton.org Worship Services: Sundays - 8:00, 10:30 am  Mondays - 6:30 pm

Our Mission

As men, women, and children united in faith and worship by the inerrant Word of God, St. John Evangelical Lutheran Church exists to make disciples of our neighbors, our community and the world, using the Gospel to win the lost for Christ, to nurture believers for lives of Christian service, and to provide lifelong Christian education, all to the Glory of God

St. John Lutheran Church

Our Church's History

  • May 13, 1864

    Startings

    The earliest record of our congregation's deed.
  • February 3, 1868

    Incorporated

    We were incorporated as a congregation.
  • November 16, 1873

    Rev. Philip Sprengling Installed

    After sharing pastors with St. Paul of Appleton and St. Peter of Freedom for many years, Rev. Philip Sprengling was installed as our first full-time pastor.
  • 1881

    Joined WELS

    In 1881 a Lutheran constitution was adopted.
  • 1893

    Sanctuary Fire

    In 1893 after a fire destroyed the sanctuary, our present building was built and dedicated.
  • 1916-1929

    New Building

    In 1916 St. John started holding an English service a month and in 1929 our German constitution was translated into English and adopted.
  • 1956

    High School

    St. John became a member of the Fox Valley Lutheran High School Federation.
  • July 17, 1977

    Pastor Suhr installed

    Pastor Jeffrey Suhr, a graduate of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, was ordained and installed as Pastor of St. John.
  • 1989

    Sanctuary

    The sanctuary was moved 150 feet west of the original site, a larger basement was built along with a larger narthex and new offices.
  • 1999

    Sanctuary Remodel

    In 1999 the sanctuary was remodeled and a large parcel of land (on the corner of Highway 47 and Wege Road) was purchased for future development.
  • 2006

    New Pastor

    A growing membership led to the decision to add a second pastor. On July 9, Pastor Micah Martin, a graduate of Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, was ordained and installed.
  • September 14, 2014

    Celebration

    St. John celebrated her 150th anniversary.
  • March 2017

    New Associate Pastor

    Pastor Andrew Frey was installed as an associate pastor,
  • August of 2017

    New Associate Pastor

    Pastor Mark Gartner was installed as an associate pastor following Pastor Suhr, who retired after faithfully serving the Lord for 40 years. Many changes have taken place in the many years of our congregation; but Christ and his gospel remain the same!

Questions?

We are here to serve you! Please reach out to us and we'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

Contact Us