St. John Ev. Lutheran Church is a member of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS) and contributes toward the mission work carried on through the synod. The WELS, based out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, is the third largest Lutheran church body in America. It began in 1850 when three German pastors met in Milwaukee. Today, it has grown to over 1,200 congregations in North America. The WELS has over 400,000 baptized members, which includes over 300,000 communicants, served by over 1,000 pastors.
The synod operates four ministerial education schools: Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary, Mequon, Wis.; Martin Luther College, New Ulm, Minn.; Luther Preparatory School, Watertown, Wis.; and Michigan Lutheran Seminary, Saginaw, Mich.
As members of the WELS, we share with our fellow believers in our synod's stated mission:
“As men, women, and children united in faith and worship by the Word of God, the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod exists to make disciples throughout the world for time and for eternity, using the gospel in Word and Sacrament to win the lost for Christ and to nurture believers for lives of Christian service, all to the glory of God.”
To find out more about what we believe and the Scriptural source for our beliefs, contact one of our Pastors. You can also check out “This We Believe” from our synod's website by clicking the WELS image.